If you are looking for a unique and special Mornington Peninsula experience, I highly recommend a picnic at one of my favourite wineries – Montalto Vineyard and Olive Grove.
Montalto Picnics run from 1st of October to the 30th April and are $90 per head. The picnic includes a complete lunch with a selection of savoury and sweet items served platter style. Tea and coffee are included and are served in the Piazza Café until 4pm. All wine is additional. Recently Montalto opened a few extra picnic sites that can be used in all weather.
When I recently visited with some friends and our kids, we all met in the sun drenched Piazza courtyard. From there we moved to the cellar door to try some wines before selecting a bottle of Montalto Estate Chardonnay and Pennon Hill Pinot Noir for our picnic.
To get to our picnic site my daughter Lottie was given a map to guide us. We walked past amazing sculptures and vines to get to our beautiful private location set in a picture perfect Australian bush landscape. Our picnic table was layed out beautifully with white linen and crockery. Inside a storage box, we found our amazing menu items, which included:
- Spelt and fennel seed ciabatta, olive oil,estate olives
- Lamb ham, Terrine/rillettes/pate, pickles
- Carrot hummus, ricotta
- Hot smoked salmon, quinoa, lemon and herb
- Drunken chicken, carrot, radish, cabbage and chickpea salad
- Buffalo mozzarella, marinated tomatoes
- Potato, watercress, caper and onion salad
- Cheese plate and accompaniments
- To finish, the most decadent Chocolate cake.
It was absolutely delicious and a wonderful experience to share with friends. This would also make for a very romantic day out for two and I plan on taking my husband in the near future.
For more information – Montalto Picnics.
Note- I was a guest of Montalto